Sunday, June 03, 2007

The Courage to Start

This weekend, while on a panel for the Generation Tennessee annual conference, I talked about what it's like to start something. I shared with the group that starting and growing something is a great feeling, and sometimes the greatest need is the courage within yourself to take a leap. I feel like I've taken a leap with CoolPeopleCare, and some days it seems like I'm flying while on others, it feels like I'm fallen.

But, I jumped.

I admire others who are willing to jump, to take that first daring step into the darkness, propelled by something deep within that only they can define. And, so, I salute others around me who have the courage to start:

Today, my sister Maribeth took her first steps on her southbound journey on the Appalachian Trail. It will be a long journey to Georgia, and she may stop before she goes all 2, 160 miles. But, she was willing to start.

My mom Luanne and wife Lynnette will also make a trek of their own. In August, the two of them will walk 60 miles in 3 days to raise money and awareness for breast cancer. You can support them financially here.

Creation is a courageous act. When you seek to create, you take a step. And that first step requires just about everything you've got.

Step on.

Comment (1)

Hiya.

I was wondering if you know why your sister decided to go Southbound. If you do know, are you willing to share why? I'm thinking of going SoBo while like 24 out of 25 people will be going Northbound. So I wonder what other peoples' thinking is concerning Southbound vs. the other way.

Thanks!