Friday, May 18, 2007

Winding Down a Long Workweek

I'm currently perched in the back of Safari Cup in Birmingham. If you haven't made it to the Magic City in a while, Birmingham is really trending younger. Lofts, greenspaces, arts opportunities - it all makes for a changing and cool city.

It's a long story as to why I'm in Birmingham after my week in Atlanta, so I'll spare you the details. Nonetheless, I'm here, and will head back to Georgia after Lynnette lands in a few hours.

Today, I had a great time meeting folks doing great things for the community:
  • Sara at United Way of Central Alabama. This nonprofit helps 81 agencies a year do what they do to change lives and help people who need it the most.
  • Elaine with the One Campaign in Birmingham. This mom is as hip as they come and gives her life to raise awareness about the work that needs to be done so that people can eat and escape poverty around the world.
  • Alison at the Birmingham Chamber of Commerce. Again, this city is changing and seeking to engage young people in every area of its development. Perhaps this is one reason it was named a great place to raise a family.
The day in my old stomping ground capped off a week of meeting with lots of change agents. One that sticks out in my mind is Dean. He raises money for a living, and is trying to get $95 million in the next five years. This is a bold undertaking that requires a bold vision. If you meet Dean and you ask the obligatory, "What do you do?" he'll reply, "I'm finding a vaccine for Alzheimer's." Nice.

I may have some more tales from the road this weekend while in Athens, Georgia before heading back home to Nashville. To all my new friends in Georgia and Birmingham, thanks for your time and your inspiring stories. The world is better because of your work.

Comments (0)