Friday, March 24, 2006

It’s Not Me, It’s You

I’m breaking up with the New York Times. My friend Ben introduced us while in college. It was my junior year and my desire to know about the world was in full swing. Ben got a student discount subscription to the paper and some days I would pick it up on campus for him, bring it back to our apartment, and read the whole first section before I gave it to him.

It was nearly love at first sight. The small print, the vivid images, the varied perspectives, and the news that the local paper didn’t cover all made me weak in the knees. And oh, when I read Friedman for the first time! I was hooked. I knew that when Ben graduated and moved away, the Times and I would stay together, even if it meant I would have to fork over the cash for a subscription.

Ben and I began a daily ritual in which we did the crossword puzzle. Like a couple of senior citizens in south Florida, the crossword puzzle was a mid-afternoon staple in our Birmingham bachelor pad. The puzzles got progressively harder as the week went on which meant that on Monday we could do Will Short’s handiwork in about fifteen minutes. Tuesday took a little longer, Wednesday’s task could take until after sunset, and Thursday’s would only get completed once a month or so. Friday and the weekend puzzles were pretty much hopeless. But, it was a treasured memory and I can still kick a crossword puzzle’s tail when I need to.

I kept reading the Times over the years for the same initial reasons I began: great journalism, fresh perspectives, huge worldview. I read it online and stayed loyal amidst the occasional forged story, the rare over-hyped sensationalism and criticism from conservative friends. Every morning I logged on to the site, glanced at the headlines, read Friedman, then Kristof and any other columnist with their two cents to contribute. I entered my stock positions and created my own portfolio on the business page. There wasn’t a computer I used that didn’t visit www.nytimes.com. I was in love.

Then, they hurt me. They began charging to access their columnists and opinion writers. I knew it was coming and they were going to let me have a free trial, but like any American, I didn’t want to pay for something I used to get for free. The New York Times were dealing perspective, and my daily addiction had me hooked for well over three years. They sold me just enough to give me Friedman and Kristof withdrawal, and when I couldn’t have it, I went googling to see if anyone had quoted them on a blog recently. But, I went into op/ed detox and eventually weaned myself off of big city opinion.

Then, after they had imprisoned my boys and girls from the editorial page and asked for an annual fee of $49.95, they went and sold their soul. Last Sunday, the New York Times accepted nearly one million dollars from the Sudanese government to run a special eight-page advertising section. The Sudanese government paid off the newspaper that is home to Nicholas Kristof, the unique journalist who is a rarity in American media by being one of the only ones willing to talk about the genocide in Darfur. Mr. Kristof has won many admirers by being willing to travel to the region and get the facts and tell the stories that need telling. He also does the same with sex trafficking in southeast Asia.

So, the New York Times, my news source of choice, slapped me in the face when they took money in the name of perspective and viewpoint and undermined a true humanitarian and those of us who support wholeheartedly what he does. As of 11:59 tonight, the New York Times will no longer be linked to on this blog, and is no longer on my favorites list on any computer I use. Our passionate love affair has ended because they seem to love money more than loyalty and justice.

Apparently over 2600 others agree with me. As news of this deal broke, the paper was flooded with letters decrying what they did. Perhaps like me, these readers have chosen to break up with their once-trusted paper. I will have the memories of rifling through crossword clues, checking the market updates, and feeling challenged by important writers. But, I can no longer stay in a relationship with such an unethical news company. I encourage my readers to do the same.

Comment (1)

Anonymous

4:45 AM

This is amazing and ironic. I am interested to see what comes of this in the next few days. Are you also boycotting their crossword books, or just the paper itself? By the way, probably just to add to the irony, you posted this on my birthday.