Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Thank God for Starbucks

Today, Starbucks announced that Rick Warren has been selected to write words that will appear on its coffee cups nationwide beginning in the spring. As part of it’s "The Way I See It Campaign," Starbucks solicited quotes, slogans and sayings to print on its paper cups as a way of continuing the tradition of coffee houses being host to debates and dialogue. I go to Starbucks so much that now I may not have to break down and actually read The Purpose Driven Life.

I was first alerted to this news story today by a phone call from a friend. After reading the story, my friend remarked, “See, Sam, it is clear that this nation is clearly pro-God and pro-Jesus.” I let him know that this was a poor conclusion to draw and that the prefix 'pro' might be too strong, but I did acknowledge a historical leaning towards Christianity as the religion of the majority of American citizens. “You can read the handwriting on the Starbucks cups all you want, but you won’t find justification for your conservative, anti-poor values,” I told him.

Also making news today was the defeat of a proposed increase in minimum wage. Not having enough votes to be approved, the minimum wage will nationally remain at $5.15, unchanged since 1997. Individual states are allowed to have a minimum wage higher than this, but at $5.15 an hour, a working adult with two children will fall over $4,000 short of the poverty line. Jim Wallis is right when he claims that poverty is the new slavery.

Some of my readers may claim there is no correlation between one’s Christianity and government-led help for the poor. But they will be quick to claim a correlation between Christianity and government-led help for the unborn. We all like to pick and choose the verses of the Bible we think matter, and we all like to legislate our beliefs in the name of truth. But we can’t get around the stories of Jesus challenging his followers to rise and fight the systems of oppression that take advantage of the least of these.

While increasing the minimum wage neither creates jobs nor encourages responsibility, it does give some a fighting chance, especially when gas and heating costs will be through the roof this winter. Because Jesus fought for the underdog, I am called to do the same, whether that calls me to lobby for welfare reform or donate to a relief agency. But, I’ll admit it may be awful hard to give a crap if after I buy a mocha frappuccino and get to read words of comfort from a megachurch pastor. Besides, at my Starbucks, there are no poor people anywhere nearby.

I do applaud Starbucks on several fronts, however. They are known for paying well above minimum wage and offering their part-time employees health benefits. Their commitment to fair-trade coffee is noteworthy, and their inclusion of Christian statements in this series (which has also included quotes from evolutionists and homosexuals) will hopefully shut up those who think mainstream America hates Christianity. But, while there are several American companies who do everything legally and properly, they do not have business practices that promote justice.

As I introduce the ‘j’ word into the conversation, I do so hesitantly. It is a word often misunderstood and rarely examined. In most people’s mind, it is relegated to the courts and the legislature, which again put us into the realms of legality and properness. But there is something about justice that isn’t always ‘fair.’ There is something about justice that as Paul Tillich writes includes, “listening, giving and forgiving.”

I will continue to post in the next few weeks related to the notion of justice, and what it must look like for the Christian today. I will take as my example the life and work of Jesus, who did not fight for fairness, but for justice. There is a difference. God bless Starbucks for being fair on their cups and just in their personnel practices. God forgive us for being fair with our societies, but unjust with our wages.

Comments (5)

Anonymous

12:27 PM

I can't think of anyone who would have thought that meant America is "pro-God"...oh wait...yeah...got it...

Anonymous

4:38 PM

Great article that reinforces the fundamental Christian truth. I get closer and closer to thinking along the same lines with each article I read. I'm sure this will be an ongoing enlightenment, or at least I hope so.

I do have a couple questions about your commentary though.

I'm no economist, nor do I play one on TV, but it seems that increasing minimum wage is a quick fix that would only merit temporary results. Wouldn't inflation eventually counteract the increased wages to place a certain number or workers back into poverty?

In reference to the correlation between social programs and abortion, wouldn't you agree that there is a distinct difference arguments here? In my mind you have empowering government with funding on one hand and murder on the other? I'm not sold on the idea that God commands our government to rid the world of poverty.

In a purely technical sense the government could most adequately combat poverty, but in reality this is not the case. I contend that bureaucracy in all forms of government will ultimately waste useful resources and politicians thwart glory. On the other hand, I believe faith-based initiatives that encourage organizations to help welfare recipients with more needs than just $$$. Concepts like Charitable Choice are most effective in confronting financial poverty and behavioral poverty while giving God His glory.

What are your thoughts?

Mr. Burgwah-

Thank you again for your loyal readership. We at INTERSECT feel that we are always right, and we like it when you see things our way. In your honor, we'll be renaming our site next month to 'Tuesdays with Burgwah.'

I will respond to a few items here and others in later posts about justice.

I think you and I are in agreement that treating the symptoms are never as good as treating the disease. I believe that instead of beating the odds, we need to change the odds. Never have I felt that throwing money at problems is the answer; throwing solutions at problems is. Maybe deep down inside you believe in government hand outs since you talk about them so much.

Clearly murder and money are two different things. I was not equating the two in terms of act but in terms of principle. You vote because of your religion on certain issues; why can't I?

The long term answer is not to raise minimum wage, but it does give more people access to a chance to pick themselves up and maybe succeed. Perhaps your ruthless capitalist self would prefer no minimum wage and the suckers not born into good families like you and I will just be SOL working for $0.37 an hour while they assemble our plasma TVs that we were able to get, not because we worked harder, but because we were lucky enough to be born in the right family, knowing how to access the tools to be upwardly mobile.

And I'm also glad you agree on what the fundamental Christian issue is. Now that it's gotten through your poor-person-hating head, maybe I can stop writing altogether.

Yours in Christ,
Samwah

Anonymous

8:34 PM

Thanks for your thought provoking writing and remarks. As one who was read your columns for many, many months, it is apparent that you see a sizable chasm between how the scripture teaches man to handle poverty and the way it's being handled both at a governmental and ecceleastical level. I'm curious to hear your response to a question that comes to mind as you challenge me to do mental analysis: is poverty an attitude that is passed down to progeny over generations or an inescapable plight impossible to shake free from regardless of desire? Yes, I acknowledge that some individuals befall on hard times for a period and need outside assistance to "get back on their feet", but, and I'm speaking from a limited scope of knowledge on this complex issue, it seems like the percentage (representing that type of poverty) would represent a small number compared to the "generational bondage" that many are born into and accept their predicament as a "way of life". It seems to me what needs to be accomplished is a changing of thinking (attitude) that is cloned from one person to the next born into a family of generational indigence. So I think the real issue here is not necessarily the 'break down' in altruism but an oversight in changing the minds of people who only know one way: squalor. Tomorrow I'll be in a federal prison engaging in ministry to the incarcerated. Invariably, Ill engage an inmate in dialogue to hear ,yet again, the familiar expression coming to prison is the best thing that has ever happened to me. The question I have is Why would one say that? Perhaps its because they have learned a trade or received an education (while locked up) realizing that there is a 'better way' to live and they look forward to using their skill and newfound knowledge in such a way whereby a new life could be experienced. More income to be earned...New vision to be passed on.....one changed mind at a time.
-eddie

Anonymous

8:36 PM

Sam... I know with your bright mind, you could expose the inconsistencies and poor argumentation of my last post; however, at the risk of getting "rolled", I am interested in your response to the question I posed about poverty. What is the best, in your framework, way to ameliorate a complex and puzzling societal issue? Your astuteness in this area intrigues me and I'd like to grow in understanding...Share with your brother Thank you..Ed